Medical Director at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, UK
Current Appointment: Consultant Vitreoretinal Surgeon and Medical Director, Moorfields Eye Hospital, City Road, London EC1V 2PD
BA (Hons) University of Cambridge 1980
MB BChir University of Cambridge 1983
MA University of Cambridge 1984
FRCS RCPS (Glasgow) 1987
FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 1989
MD University of Cambridge 1990
Awards and Prizes:
- Raymond Horton-Smith prize (Best MD of year) 1990
- Healthcare 99- Best use of IT in clinical care (1st Prize) 1999
- Royal Eye Hospital Prize 1999
- Hospital Doctor of the Year Award (Ophthalmology) 2003
- Whos who in 2004, the Times 2004
- High Commendation in BMA Book Awards for 2005
- Best in Show Video, AAO, Las Vegas (co-author) 2006
- Treacher-Collins prize, RCOphth Congress, Birmingham (co-author) 2007
- Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology 2007
- Clinical Excellence Award (Silver) 2007
- President, Moorfields Surgeons Association 2002
- Medical Director, Moorfields Eye Hospital 2002
- Vice-President, European Association of Retina Specialists 2005
- Chairman Information Committee, Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2007
- Member, Professional Standards, Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2006
- Member, Executive Committee of Gonin Club 2008
- University of Cambridge 1978
- James Paget Hospital 1984
- Western Ophthalmic Hospital 1985
- Sydney Eye Hospital 1987
- Moorfields Eye Hospital 1989
- Bascom Palmer Eye Institute (Prof. Don Gass) 1993
- The American Society of Retinal Specialists 1995
- Club Jules Gonin 1998
- The Ophthalmic Club, London 1999
- Euretina 2001
- European Academy of Ophthalmology 2008
- “Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy” in “Ophthalmology” Yanoff & Duker. Mosby 1997, 2006
- “Treatment of Diabetic Retinopathy” in “Diabetic Eye Disease. Identification and comanagement”. Rudnicka & Birch. Butterworth Heinmann 2000
- “Disorders of the Vitreous” in “Clinical Retina” Quillen & Blodi, AMA press, 2002
- Retina Section Editor “Evidence Based Ophthalmology”, BMJ Publishing, 2004
- Chapter on “Optimal Procedures for Retinal Detachments” Retina (ed Ryan SJ), Elsevier Mosby 2005.
- Chapter on Risk factors for PVR in volume on Vitreoretinal diseases in “Essentials in Ophthalmology”, Springer-Verlag, 2005.
- Author of “Vitreoretinal Surgery – Basic Techniques”. Video Atlas of Ophthalmology series, Eyemovies, London, 2005.
- ‘Surgical Pearl of Wisdom’ in “Vitreoretinal Surgery” Thomas Williamson, Springer 2008
Selected Publications (Total 94):
- Asaria RHY, Kon CH, Bunce C, Charteris DG, Wong D, Khaw PT, Aylward GW. Adjuvant 5-fluorouracil and heparin prevents proliferative vitreoretinopathy: results from a randomised double blind controlled clinical trial. Ophthalmol 2001;108:1179-1183.
- Stanga PE, Kychenthal A, Fitzke FW, Halfyard AS, Chan R, Bird AC, Aylward GW Retinal pigment epithelium translocation after choroidal neovascular membrane removal in age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmology 2002;109:1492-1498.
- MacLaren RE. Uppal GS. Balaggan KS. Tufail A. Munro PM. Milliken AB. Ali RR. Rubin GS. Aylward GW. da Cruz L. Autologous transplantation of the retinal pigment epithelium and choroid in the treatment of neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmol 2007;114:561-70.
- Essex RW, Bunce C, Tufail A, Aylward GW. Two-year results of surgical removal of choroidal neovascular membranes related to non-age-related macular degeneration. Br J Ophthalmol 2007;91:649-54.
- Jackson TL. Kwan AS. Laidlaw AH. Aylward GW. Identification of retinal breaks using subretinal trypan blue injection. Ophthalmol 2007;114:587-90.