Head Anterior and Refractive Surgery, Ophthalmology Dept., Rothschild Foundation, Paris, France
Licensures and Certifications
- Diplomate in Medicine, 1991
- Diplomate in Ophthalmology , 1996
- “Habilitation à Diriger les Recherches” (Director of Research Position / PhD), 2005
Prizes and Awards
- 2001: Best video Award: “Astigmatism : profiles of ablation”. American Academy of Ophthalmology, New Orleans.
- 2004: D Gatinel, O Prisant, A Mackenzie, S Hakiki, T Huong-Xuan “Elliptical vs circular ablation zone for myopic compound astigmatism with LASIK using the EC 5000 laser.” Best Paper of the Session Microkeratomes, Complications. ASCRS, San Diego:1-5/05/04
- 2004: “Lasik Buttonhole ; the triangle of Bermudas.” Runner –up “ in the “LASIK complication” category from the Film Festival Theater.
ASCRS, San Diego:1-5/05/04
- 2006: “Achivevement Award” from the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
- 2007: D Gatinel, J Malet, DT Azar. Non empirical multifocal presbyopia correction with $ocular wavefront profiling. “Best Paper of the Session “Multifocal corrections” ASCRS, San Diego:01/05/07
- 2007: D Gatinel, J Malet, DT Azar. How the epithelial scraping changes the corneal topography in patients having myopic PRK. “Best Paper of the Session “Keratorefractive; surface ablations” ASCRS, San Diego:01/05/07
- 2009: D Gatinel, DT Azar, J Malet. Using High Order Aberrations for non empirical ocular wavefront design and multifocal corrections. Best Free Paper of the Meeting; ARI and Wavefront Congress, Alicante, Spain, 07/03/09
Fields of Interest, Research
Analysis of the optical quality of the human eye, profile of ablation with the excimer laser, customized ablations, ocular aberrometry, IOL optical design, corneal topography and biomechanics, mathematical modelling, computer assisted modelling, physiological optics analysis and modelling,
Past and Current Scientific activities
Optical quality assessment for the human eye structures and treatments (intra ocular lenses, laser profiles) – aberrometry.
- Mathematical and computerized modelling of corneal topography and profiles of ablation in collaboration with the dept. of Refractive Surgery of the Massachusets Eye and Ear Infirmary (Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA) and the University of Jussieu (Paris, France).
- Several scientific publications and communications in the field of cataract and refractive surgery (Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, ARVO and ASCRS congress…).
- Characterization of the optical properties of intra ocular lenses.
- Characterization of the effect of the corneal epithelium on the corneal topography and consequences on the optical properties of the eye.
- Corneal biomechanics, keratoconus detection.
- Gatinel D, Hoang-Xuan T. Le LASIK: de la théorie à la pratique. Elsevier, 2003. (in French)
- Azar DT, Gatinel D. Refractive Surgery, 2nd ed. Mosby-Elsevier, 2006-10-22 (in English)
- Gatinel D. Topographie cornéenne ; une introduction (Corneal Topography ; an introduction). In preparation (French).
- In “Hyperopia and presbypia”. Azar DT, Koch DD, 2003, pp141-150, Marcel Dekker, New-York, USA. D Gatinel. Corneal surface profile after hyperopia surgery.
- In “Smolin and Thoft’s The Cornea. Scientific foundations and clinical practice. Fourth Edition », Foster CS, Azar DT, Dohlman CH, 2005, pp 1233-1244, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, USA. D Gatinel, T Hoang Xuan. LASIK outcomes in astigmatism. – In “Lasek and Stromal Surface Excimer Laser Ablation”, Azar DT, 2004, Marcel Dekker, New-York, USA Duong MH, Gatinel D. Lasek vs Prk: comparison of visual outcomes.
- In “Refractive surgery, 2nd Edition”, Azar DT, Gatinel D, Hoang-Xuan T. Elsevier Mosby, 2006,
D Gatinel. Wavefront Analysis, pp117-146
D Gatinel. Lasik for myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism, pp165-182
D Gatinel. Custom Lasik, pp183-194
D Gatinel. Multifocal corneal surgery for presbyopes, pp483-490
- In “Principles and Practice of Ophthalmology, 4rd Edition”. Daniel M. Albert and Frederick A. Jakobiec, Saunders, Elsevier, USA, 2007
D Gatinel. Corneal Topography and Wavefront analysis.
- 26 peer-reviewed publications in English
- 24 peer-reviewed publications in French
- 57 non peer-reviewed publications in French and English for CME publications.
Principal Recent Peer-Reviwed International Publications Articles
GATINEL D, LEBRUN T, LE TOUMELIN P, CHAINE G. Aqueous flare induced by heparin-surface-modified poly(methyl methacrylate) and acrylic lenses implanted through the same-size incision in patients with diabetes.J Cataract Refract Surg. 2001;27:855-60.
GATINEL D, HOANG-XUAN T, AZAR DT. Determination of corneal asphericity after myopia surgery with the excimer laser: a mathematical model.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2001;42:1736-42.
GATINEL D, MALET J, HOANG-XUAN T, AZAR DT. Analysis of customized corneal ablations: theoretical limitations of increasing negative asphericity. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2002;43(4):941-8 GATINEL D, HOANG-XUAN T, AZAR DT. Volume estimation of excimer laser tissue ablation for correction of spherical myopia and hyperopia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 2002 ;43:1445-9.
GATINEL D, HOANG-XUAN T, AZAR DT. Three dimensional representation and qualitative comparisons of the amount of tissue ablated for the treatment of simple and compound astigmatism. J Cataract Refract Surg, 2002 ;2 :2026-2034
GATINEL D, MALET J, HOANG-XUAN T, AZAR DT. Corneal asphericity change after excimer laser hyperopic surgery: theoretical effects on corneal profiles and corresponding Zernike expansions. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci,2004 ; 45(5) :1349-59
ROHART C, LE MARINEL B, HOANG-XUAN T, GATINEL D. Comparison of the ocular aberrations after cataract surgery with hydrophobic (MA60AC, Alcon) and hydrophilic (XLStabi, Ioltech) acrylic intraocular lens. J Cataract Refract Surg, 2006;32(7):1201-5
GATINEL D, HOANG-XUAN T. Measurement of combined corneal, internal and total ocular optical quality analysis in anterior segment pathology with the OPD-scan and OPD-station. J Refract Surg, 2006, 22(9): S1014-S1020
GATINEL D, CHAABOUNI S, ADAM PA, MUNCK J, PUECH M, HOANG-XUAN T. Variations of corneal hysteresis, resistance factor, topography and pachymetry after uncomplicated stromal lamellar flap creation : a prospective single case study. J Refract Surg, 2007;23(1):76-84.
GATINEL D, RACINE L, HOANG-XUAN T. Contribution of the Corneal Epithelium to Anterior Corneal Topography in Patients Undergoing Myopic Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK). J Cataract Refract Surg 2007; 33(11):1860-5.
GATINEL D, HOANG-XUAN T. Geometric customization of the optical and transition zone parameters for the treatment of compound myopic astigmatism with the NIDEK EC-5000 excimer laser. Journal Refract Surg, 2007, 23(9):924-30.
GATINEL D, HOANG-XUAN T. Objective assessment of the quality of vision before and after repositioning of a dislocated iris-fixated aphakic anterior chamber lens. J Refract Surg, 2007, 23(9):S1005-10.
GATINEL D. The low accuracy of Shack-Hartman wavefront sensing in eyes with diffractive multifocal intra ocular lenses. J Cataract Refract Surg, 2008: 34(4):528; author reply 528-9
SCHLEGEL Z, HOANG-XUAN T, GATINEL D. Comparison and correlation between the anterior and posterior corneal elevation maps in normal and keratoconus suspects eyes. J Cataract Refract Surg, , 2008;34(5):789-95.
GATINEL D. Optical performance of mono-versus -multifocal IOLs. J Cataract Refract Surg, 2008, 34;4:528
GATINEL D, ROHART C. Influence of a capsular tension ring on ocular aberrations after cataract surgery: a comparative study. J Refract Surg. 2009;25(1 Suppl):S116-21.
GATINEL D, ADAM PA, CHAABOUNI S, MUNCK J, THEVENOT M, HOANG-XUAN T, PIEGER S, FUJIEDA M, BAINS HS. Comparison of corneal and total ocular aberrations before and after myopic LASIK. J Refract Surg, in press
SAAD A, SAAB M, GATINEL D. Repeatability of Optical Quality Analysis System (OQAS) measurement. J Cataract Refract Surg, 2010;36(1):28-33
GATINEL D, BAINS HS. Treatment of Highly Aberrated Eyes Using the NIDEK CXIII Excimer Laser. J Refract Surg. 2010 Feb 25:1-5.
SAAD A, LTEIF Y, AZAN E, GATINEL D. Biomechanical properties of keratoconus suspect eyes. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009 Dec 30, in press
SCHLEGEL Z, LTEIF Y, BAINS HS, GATINEL D. Total, corneal, and internal ocular optical aberrations in patients with keratoconus. J Refract Surg. 2009;25(10 Suppl):S951-7.
ABITBOL O, BOUDEN J, DONA S, HOANG-XUAN T, GATINEL D. Corneal hysteresis measured with the Ocular Response Analyzer in normal and glaucomatous eyes. Acta Ophthalmol. 2009 Nov 5, in press
Oral – Poster Communications
14 Arvo poster and 3 Arvo communications
59 French and International Invited Lectures
More than 100 lectures between 2002 and 2008
French Society of Ophthalmology
American Academy of Ophthalmology
American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery International Society of Refractive Surgery
ARVO (Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology)
Optical Society of America
Personal Operating Information
500 LASIK and or excimer surface techniques per year
500 cataract or other anterior segment surgeries per year
about 50 anterior segment surgical reconstructions per year
“Ocular Wavefront-Correction Profiling”. US (7331668) and international patent related to human ocular multifocal corrections designs.