Associate Professor Ophthalmology Autonoma University, Barcelona, Spain
Dr. Jose L. Güell was born on 1960. He is an Associate Professor of Ophthalmology at the Autonoma University of Barcelona since 1991. He studied Medicine and Surgery at the Central University of Barcelona (1977-84). His Doctorate Degree about “Lasik, laser assisted in situ Ketatomileusis” was presented with “Cum Laude” on July 99 at the UAB
He performed his Residency Program in Barcelona at the Autonoma University (1986-1989) at the Vall d’Hebró Unit, a clinical fellowship in Cornea and Refractive Surgery at Emory University, Atlanta (1989) , he was directing the Cornea and Refractive Surgery Section at the Ophthalmology Department of the Vall d´Hebron Hospital, Autonoma University of Barcelona until 1999, Presently, he is an Associate professor of Ophthalmology at the Autonoma University of Barcelona and Director of the Cornea and Refractive Surgery Unit at the ”Instituto de Microcirugia Ocular de Barcelona” a private Center. He is the Secretary of the Private Foundation for Corneal Tissue Obtention.
At the present time, he belongs at the following Investigations lines: “Beca Fis” for the Expansion Project of Stem cell limbics in Amniotic Membrane and the “Red Nacional de Investigación Cooperativa: Subproyecto Cirugia Refractiva”
He has been involved in Refractive Surgery since 1989 and in Laser Corneal Surgery since 1993. Laser Assisted in situ Keratomileusis and Iris Claw phakic IOL’s have been his procedures of choice for the correction of myopia and astigmatism since October 1993, and Intracorneal Ring Segments since 1998.
- Belong to the Editorial Board of Eurotimes Journal
- Belong to the Editorial Board of Studium Ophthalmologicum
- Representative for Spain as a Member of the ISRS International Council since 1998
- Member of Editorial Board of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today, Magazine, since June 2002.
- Member of the Editorial Board of Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, and Co-editor of the Consultation Section
- European Chief Medical Officer and belongs to the Medical Advisory Board of Calhoun Vision
- Secretary of the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. ESCRS since 2004—–2008. Presently President of the ESCRS (2009——–
- Member of the Editorial Board of CORNEA Magazine Since 2004
- Vice-Secretary of SECOIR (Spanish Society of Refractive Surgery since 2004-2008
- Member of the Editorial Board of EyeWorld Magazine since 2004
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Refractive Surgery Quarterly since July 2004
- Editorial Board Member of Ocular Surgery News Europe/Asia-Pacific Edition
- Consultant of the AMO Refractive Advisory Board since March 2005.
- Consultant of Meditec Zeiss
- President of Visiometrics, SL
- Belong to the Cornea Committee of “Eye World Latinoamerica” (ALACCSA Magazine)
- Belongs Board of the Cornea Subcommitte from ASCRS
- Member of the Editorial Board of the British Journal of Ophthalmology since July 1st 2007
- Member with Thesis of the Cornea Society since December 2007
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Optometry since January 2008.
- Editor (Co-editor) of the Journal of Emmetropia. Journal of Cataract, Refractive and Corneal Surgery since July 2009.
- Academic member “correspondent” de la Reial Academia de Medicina de Catalunya June 2009.