He qualified in Medicine cum laude at the University of Pisa, graduated in Ophthalmology cum laude at the University of Florence, and become PhD at the University of Amsterdam. He sub-specialized in oculoplastic and orbital surgery first under the guide of Richard Collin and Geoffrey Rose at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London and then with Leo Koornneef at the Orbital Centre, University of Amsterdam.
Afterwards he has been a Universitary Docent (UD), Consultant surgeon and Head to Orbital Centre, University of Amsterdam, where he trained in oculoplastic, lacrimal and orbital surgery medical students, residents in ophthalmology, nineteen international fellows, and had the opportunity to publish in the field of orbital and adnexal diseases. At present he is “Chef de Clinique” and Clinical Professor to the Department of Ophthalmology , Catholic University of Louvain, at the Saint Luc Hospital of Bruxelles. He has been member of the scientific advisory board, invited speaker and faculty member at a wide variety of international congresses, and courses. He is active reviewer and/or member of the editorial board of ophthalmic, maxillofacial, plastic surgery, and internal medicine journals, visiting professor to several European, North American and Asian universities, and had organised national and international congresses.
Currently he is member of the Italian Society of Ophthalmology, European Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, has been elected honorary members of the Asia Pacific Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, serve in the steering committee of the European Group on Graves’ Orbitopathy, is for the second term the President of the Italian Society of Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery, is the Secretary and the Elected President of the International Society of Dacryology and Dry Eye.
Most recent invited talks
1. Featured speaker lecture: The EUGOGO experience: take home messages for the oculofacial specialist. 41st Fall Annual Scientific Symposium of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS),13-14 October 2010, Chicago (IL), USA.
2. Clinical Assessment and surgical rehabilitation of patients with Graves’ Orbitopathy. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology of Asia (Asia-ARVO) Conference, 20-22 January 2011 Singapore.
3. Endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy in modern lacrimal surgery. Symposium: Lacrimal disease: how to deal with the watery patient. 18th Congress of the European Society of Ophthalmology (SOE), 4-7 June 2011, Genève, Switzerland.
4. Lid recession or orbital decompression. Update course of the British Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery Society (BOPSS) 15 June 2011 Cardiff, United Kingdom.
5. Main Lecture: “Paediatric orbital surgery”. 28th National Congress of the Italian Society of Paediatric Ophthalmology (SIOP). 16-18 June 2011, Rome, Italy.
6. Chaired Symposium: “Updates on Graves orbitopathy: from clinical assessment to treatment” and Lecture: “Medical management of thyroid eye disease”. 33rd World Congress of Ophthalmology, 16-20 February 2012, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
7. Keynote lecture: “Surgical Management of Graves’ Orbitopathy”, IX Annual Meeting of the South East European Society of Ophthalmology, Coorganized with XXXII Annual Meeting of the Slovenian Society of Ophthalmology, and XXXIV International Meeting of the Alpe Adria Society of Ophthalmology, 28-30 June 2012 Portoroz, Slovenia.
8. Plenary Named lecture: The Singapore Eye Foundation Lecture: “Paediatric Orbital Oncology”, Congress 2012 of the Asia-Pacific Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (APSOPRS) 23-25 August, 2012, Singapore.
9. Lecture: “Steroids, external beam irradiation and immune therapy, their role in the treatment of Thyroid Eye Disease.” Symposium “Thyroid Eye Disease”, World Congress of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus (WCPOS) 8-9 September 2012, Milan Italy.
Most recent articles
1. Baldeschi L, Saeed P, Regensburg NI, Zacharopoulos I, Wiersinga WM. Traumatic neuroma of the infraorbital nerve subsequent to inferomedial orbital decompression for Graves’ orbitopathy. Eur J Ophthalmol 2010;20:481-4.
2. Lazarus J, Bartalena L, Marcocci C, Kahaly GJ, Krassas G, Wiersinga WM, Baldeschi L, Boboridis K, Boschi A, Currò N, Daumerie C, Dickinson AJ, Eckstein A, Kendall-Taylor P, Lane CM, Ludgate ME, Mann K, Marinò M, Mourits MP, Nardi M, Neoh C, Orgiazzi J, Pearce S, Perros P, Pinchera A, Pitz S, Salvi M, Sivelli P, Stahl M, von Arx G. Glucocorticoid administration for Graves’ hyperthyroidism treated by radioiodine. A questionnaire survey among members of the European Thyroid Association. J Endocrinol Invest 2010;33:409-13.
3. Baldeschi L. Small versus coronal incision orbital decompression in Graves’ orbitopathy. Orbit 2010;29:177-82.
4. Marcocci C, Kahaly GJ, Krassas GE, Bartalena L, Prummel M, Stahl M, Altea MA, Nardi, M, Pitz S, Boboridis K, Sivelli P, von Arx G, Mourits MP, Baldeschi L, Bencivelli W, Wiersinga WM on behalf of the European Group of Graves’ Orbitopathy (EUGOGO). Selenium favorably affects the course of Mild Graves’ Orbitopathy. N Engl J Med 2011;364:1920-31.
5. Bartalena L, Krassas GE, Wiersinga W, Marcocci C, Salvi M, Daumerie C, Bournaud C, Stahl M, Sassi L, Veronesi G, Azzolini C, Boboridis KG, Mourits MP, Soeters MR, Baldeschi L, Nardi M, Currò N, Boschi A, Bernard M, von Arx G; for the European Group on Graves’ Orbitopathy. Efficacy and Safety of Three Different Cumulative Doses of Intravenous Methylprednisolone for Moderate to Severe and Active Graves’ Orbitopathy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Oct 4. [Epub ahead of print]
Most recent book / book chapters
1. Baldeschi L. Patologie di interesse orbito oftalmoplastico: indicazioni e principi di trattamento” [Orbital diseases: indications and principles of treatment]. Rome: I.N.C. Innovation-News-Communication, 2010:1-127.
2. Baldeschi L. Rehabilitative surgery. In: Wiersinga WM, Kahaly G, editors. Graves’ Orbitopathy A Multidisciplinary Approach – Questions and Answers, 2nd edition. Basel, Switzerland: Karger, 2010:167-70.
3. Baldeschi L. Orbital decompression. In: Wiersinga WM, Kahaly G, editors. Graves’ Orbitopathy A Multidisciplinary Approach – Questions and Answers, 2nd edition. Basel,: Karger, 2010:171-88.
4. Baldeschi L. Future developments. In: Wiersinga WM, Kahaly G, editors. Graves’ Orbitopathy A Multidisciplinary Approach – Questions and Answers, 2nd edition. Basel, Switzerland: Karger, 2010:255-64.
5. Baldeschi L. Functional and rehabilitative surgery of Graves’ orbitopathy. In: Spaeth GL, editor. Ophthalmic Surgery: Principles and Practice, Atlas and Text Book, 4th edition. Philadelpia, USA: Elsevier Science, 2011:424-40.